The State has what they call a Permanency Committee Hearing in which Phillip's Case Worker, her supervisor, a few other supervisors, and the Department Head all meet together to decide what is best for our baby. It is not a court decision and we, as foster parents, have no rights. Therefore we are at the mercy of this committee to make the best decision.
Now, for a little background, Phillip has two half-brothers that also need a family. There is a Federal Mandate that requires States to try to keep siblings together if at all possible, so consequently, our State has tried to find a home that will take all three boys. Phillip does not know his older brothers and they have only met once (at the photo shoot designed to advertise the boys to the adoption community). Phillip's older brothers came into foster care at an older age and so they have been exposed to a lot of hardships. They are beautiful, engaging children and I want the very best for them. I have prayed for their placement into a loving family, just as I have prayed that Phillip will be able to remain with our family.
The State has found numerous (30 or more) families who are willing to take all three boys, but Phillip's case worker has narrowed it down to two families that she thinks would be a good fit. As far as I can tell, she desires to have Phillip remain with us while placing the other two boys together. Apparently, her supervisor backs her on this decision, but ultimately it will be decided by The Committee. Our case worker is fairly hopeful that she will get what she wants, but she has been surprised and saddened by some of the decisions that the Committee makes. In other words, this is not a done deal.
So, we need your help. We are having a fasting and prayer day on Sunday, May 4th. If you would be willing to fast and pray for us (Matt, Carol, Michael, James, Anne, Phillip, Phillip's brothers, and the Permanency Committee), then we would be eternally grateful. We are fasting and praying that Heavenly Father's Will will be done. Of course, we desperately want His Will to allow Phillip to be ours, but we understand that we have no control over this and that we have to allow Him to govern our lives. We are also fasting that the Permanency Committee will be lead by The Spirit and that they will be in-tune to His promptings. Also, please pray that we will have the courage to accept whatever decision is made and that our little family will be comforted.
The lyrics to a beautiful hymn have kept going through my mind and I would like to share two of the verses with you. First, let me explain that last May, before Matt and I started foster care, I went to the BYU Women's Conference. Fostering was heavy on my mind at that time and I desperately needed to be comforted in our decision to proceed. Numerous times during that conference The Holy Ghost spoke to my heart and confirmed what I already knew...that this was the right path for our family and that Heavenly Father would not abandon us. In the Closing Session, with 20,000+ women all together, we sang a hymn that I have heard numerous times before, but had never really listened to. I was quite literally overcome by The Spirit as I heard these lyrics speak directly to me. It was an amazing answer to my prayer and I am still in awe at the power of it.
How firm a foundation, ye Saints of the Lord,
Is laid for your faith in his excellent word!
What more can he say than to you he hath said,
Who unto the Savior...for refuge have fled?
Fear not, I am with thee; oh, be not dismayed,
For I am thy God and will still give thee aid.
I'll strengthen thee, help thee, and cause thee to stand,
Upheld by my righteous...omnipotent hand.
The soul that on Jesus hath leaned for repose
I will not, I cannot, desert to his foes;
That soul, though all hell should endeavor to shake,
I'll never, no never, no never forsake!
Written by: Robert Keen (italics added)
He has truly held me in His hand throughout this process. Please fast and pray for us that He will continue to do so.
With much love and gratitude,
Carol
6 comments:
We would love to pray and fast for your family next Sunday. I'm grateful to be able to serve you during this "down and out" time. Service brings great blessings. Now, you have 2 days to get better so we can all be at Women's Conference. Chop, chop. Love you, Carol
-Joanne
Definitely, I can't think of a more worthy, righteous desire, both for your health and for Phillip. Oh, can't believe how crazy I am for him. You'd think you 'borned' him; I couldn't love him more. Tutu says, after seeing the pictures, you better be careful or he'll take a terrible fall.
Love those pictures of that sweet little guy! Tutu's comment cracked me up!! Our family has prayed so much for this little boy. We are so priveleged to participate in fasting for "such a time as this".
Love you lots!
Carol,
I really feel for you right now. I had a friend who fostered to adopt (and has a beautiful girl who is now 10, she adopted when she was 4, I think) but I know the process was long, difficult and had many many ups and downs before the placement was permanant.
I think he is the most beautiful baby and hope everything goes exactly how you want it to. We'll be praying for your family.
your cousin Erin
p.s. my family blog is thefifes.blogspot.com
Oh Carol, your poor heart is probably aching so much. We will fast and pray for your family and Phillips half brothers. I admire your willingness to open your heart like you have to this little boy and he blends so well with your family. He is absolutely beautiful!!! This is so scary and heart wrenching. Oh...good luck...we love you guys!
AAAHHH!!
I personally have gotten attachted to Phillip and I can't think of a better home for him then at your house Carol. You can definitely count me in on the fasting/praying for Phillip, your family, Phillip's half-brothers, and the committee! (Man that's a hefty list! Good thing you have TONS of people supporting you!)
Love you Carol!
Your FAVORITE nephew,
Jake
Post a Comment