Last month Michael had a doctor's appointment that ended just before lunchtime, so instead of taking him directly back to school, we went to lunch together instead. He loved it and so did I. Consequently I have made a new goal. During the school year I am going to take each of my children out to lunch, alone with their mom, once a month. I have found that I have to schedule it on the calendar or it just doesn't happen. Today was James' turn and we had a wonderful time together. He chose Red Robin for our lunchtime rendezvous and the food was yuuuummmmy! It was nice to be able to give him all of my attention instead of having to divide it between each of my children. I think that James has really been needing this lately and it was my privilege to oblige. While we were waiting to have our food delivered, James turned his paper menu over and asked me to close my eyes while he colored a picture. After working on it for several minutes, he gave me permission to look and he had drawn a picture of me and him together with the words I LOVE YOU! across the top. I made a mental note to bring it home so that I could save it forever, but then got distracted as we left and (dang it!) I left it at the restaurant. Oh well, at least now I have written about it so that I will never forget.
I love my kids so deeply, but sometimes I get caught in the day to day ritual of the "stuff" that needs to get done and the "stuff" that I need to teach them, that I miss all of the great "stuff" that they are and are becoming.
Hopefully these lunchtime one-on-one's will be a great reminder to me to forget about the less important "stuff" and focus on the "stuff" that matters most...my relationship with my kids. Thank you James, for a wonderful lunch. I love you my little (big) boy.
1 comment:
What a great thing to do! I am not sure if I could swing it once a month. That sure makes for some great memories!!!!!
Post a Comment