Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Desperate Times Call For Desperate Measures

Tonight, after being told that he would have to wait 40 more minutes until dinner, James decided that his mom was cruel and he would like to go live somewhere else. This decision occured after he already had a granola bar and a chocolate for an after school snack, but that is beside the point...his mother was cruel and he was going to die from starving. So, he headed downstairs and started to pack his essentials for running away. He told Anne that he thought he might be gone for about 3 days, at which point I went downstairs and told him, in my most sympathetic voice, how much I was going to miss him and that I hoped he wouldn't be too lonely without us. After getting his backpack full to bursting he came up the stairs with a sheepish grin on his face and asked Anne if she would like to play camping instead. I, of course, told him how happy I was that he was going to continue to live in our home and then continued to get dinner ready. This evening, as I went through his collection of survival items, I couldn't help but smile and Matt insisted I take a picture and document it in my blog. So, for those of you who are wondering what the essentials for the basic run-away operation are, they come as follows:
1. A warm blanket
2. Two shirts...one long sleeve, one short
3. Three pairs of underwear (he did tell Anne he was leaving for three days)
4. All of the Pokemon and YuGiOh cards that you have
5. A couple of Pokemon Figures that you can use your active imagination with.
6. A book to read
7. Your yearbook from the previous year
8. A puzzle to do when you get bored...and lastely,
9. A mind teaser game also for when you get bored...it helps if this has sentimental value so that you can always remember the family that you used to live with.



By the way, I really am glad that you are apart of our family James and I am glad that you didn't have to use your survival kit. I love you so much. Love, Mom

3 comments:

Anna B. said...

You most certainly are a mean, mean mommy for making him wait SO long. (and you know that I am kidding) You handled it so well. I am so inspired by you. And that James is a smart one. He knew ALL the basics for survival for three days.

Audrey said...

Carol...this is so funny. Eli threatened to run away a couple days ago and I was just about to post it on the blog. I am so glad I am not the only one that has children that feel like their lives are sooo unjust.

Anonymous said...

Oh James, James, what a creative packer for his travels. He knows the essentials. Oh James, how I love that boy. And, how well his Mom handled the situation. Oh how I love Carol. Mom