Saturday, April 5, 2008

Springtime

Yeah!!! I am so glad that Spring has finally sprung! It has been absolutely beautiful the last few days, with temperatures in the low 60's and the sun has been shining. I love the sun. It does wonders for my mental health and I am grateful when it comes out in abundance.
With the beautiful weather comes a yard that needs a lot of work. I spent Thursday afternoon mowing our lawn and then I spent Friday afternoon and this morning fertilizing it. Matt is currently still outside cutting back the dead grasses while I am writing this. It does feel good to be outside and to work in the yard. Now I must confess, my enthusiasm for outside work is short lived. I get all excited to do the work for the months of April and May and then when June rolls around and the temperatures climb, I lose all of my steam. Unfortunately the yard still needs a lot of work in June, July, and the dreaded August heat, but I have a husband who is very patient with me and very willing to continue the work despite the unfavorable conditions. I love you Matt.
But for now it is spring and I am going to revel in it. It truly is my favorite time of the year. I think I like spring the best because everthing is so new and fresh. I love watching our yard go from dull and grey to vibrant and filled with color. The trees are starting to unfold their leaves and last week I got the boys to help me remove all of the dead leaves from my daylilies out front and now they are growing like crazy. Springtime reminds me that everything has it's season and that we can always start fresh again. So, here's to starting fresh and beautiful sunshine!
Here is one of the aforementioned daylillies. I love them because they bloom all summer long.

A few years ago a robin made her nest at the top of the column in our front porch. It is very protected, as you can see, and every year since another mama bird has made it her own. This year a bigger bird chose to use it as her home, to which James replied, "she's kinda big and squished in there isn't she mommy?" My kids love seeing the mama bird protect her eggs and then sometimes we are even lucky enough to watch her feed them once they have hatched. Have I mentioned I love Spring?

1 comment:

Anna B. said...

I am not certain if spring will ever come this year. I am beginning to be skeptical. I love spring too. It never seems to be long enough for me. It gets hot too fast!!! And, I am WITH you on the yard work thing. We created 13 bags of yard cleanup stuff and I was all over it last week before we skipped back to winter. Guess it's a good thing...gives me a break before going back at it again and then having to curse at the oppressive heat that follows. Never fear....the glass is half full!!!