Thursday, April 24, 2008

Down For The Count

As of last Friday, I have officially been 'down for the count'. I have what they call a 'bad' back. I hurt it while delivering my son James and every once in a while my back goes 'out' and I am left to the mercy of others. When my back goes 'out' I am pretty much incapacitated. I cannot sit down, even for a moment, because it causes me intense pain and sometimes it is so bad I have to revert to crawling. This time, however, I have been able to continue walking with an odd looking limp, in which my whole body kind of sways disproportionately and I remind myself of the Hunchback of Notre Dam. :) I must mention that I have been blessed this round because my back has not done this for almost 2 years, which is much better then my old pattern of every few months.

So consequently, Matt has been the mom, dad, provider, cheuffer, chef, diaper changer, storybook reader, homework helper, baby rocker, wife massager, disciplinarian, bath-time master, and compassionate husband extraordinaire! I have also received help from many generous friends and family who have helped take care of Philip and Anne and have also brought yummy dinners to our family. Thank you, thank you, thank you to all who have helped me in my time of need.

I know that soon I will be up and at 'em, but for this week I have been humbled. My Heavenly Father has gently reminded me what an amazing blessing it is to have a healthy and strong body. Apparently I am very prideful and need a reminder every once in a while that I cannot do this thing called life all on my own. We all need support. Support from our Heavenly Father, support from The Holy Ghost, support from our family, and support from our friends. We were never meant to have to endure our trials alone and I am grateful for Heavenly Father's gentle reminder to me of this fact.

In the meantime, please pray for me and my family that we will be able to endure this trial well for as long as it lasts. I am trying to be patient...

3 comments:

Anna B. said...

I'm so sorry!! I know it feels yucky when this happens. I love you!!!

Barbie said...

I am so sorry you are going through this. My back goes out once in a while too and you do, you feel completely helpless. I will pray for you that your back heals quickly and also that your family will continue to help you with happy hearts.

Audrey said...

Oh...I am so sorry. I am glad you have help around you. Hope you feel better soon.