Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Goals and Explanations

Ok, I have started my blog. I used to love writing in my journal when I was a teenager, in fact it was a nightly habit, but after I got married I stopped and all of my attempts to start again have failed miserably. But...I keep receiving links to friends' and families' blogs and so I have decided that I might as well give it a try. I am hoping to write at least once a week so that I can have a record for myself and my children all that this life has offered and blessed me with. My husband, Matt, usually creates a beautiful book for our children every year that sums up all that we have done together as a family, but this last year he was burnt out and asked me if I would do it instead. I do not have the flare for creativity that he does, but I am hoping to be able to have this blog be my gift to the kids when this year if over. So, that's my goal. They always say that you should make goals...

I feel like I need to explain my blog title a little bit. It comes from a scripture that I love and has brought me comfort when life has seemed unbearable to me.

"And if thou shouldst be cast into the pit, or into the hands of murderers, and the sentence of death passed upon thee; if thou be cast into the deep; if the billowing surge conspire against thee; if fierce winds become thine enemy; if the heavens gather blackness, and all the elements combine to hedge up the way; and above all, if the very jaws of hell shall gape open the mouth wide after thee, know thou, my son, that all these things shall give thee experience, and shall be for thy good. The Son of Man hath descended below them all. Art thou greater than he? Therefore, hold on thy way, and the priesthood shall remain with thee; for their bounds are set, they cannot pass. Thy days are known and thy years shall not be numbered less; therefore, fear not what man can do, for God shall be with you forever and ever." D&C 122:7-9

In my life I have often wondered why certain experiences had to be so painful? This scripture sums it up perfectly...
1) It is in my best interest to have painful experiences.
2) Do I expect everything to always be easy? Look at the Savior's life and His atonement for me.
3) No matter what this life holds for me, I can always know that Heavenly Father knows who I am and that he will never abandon me.

3 comments:

Anna B. said...

I love that you are here!!! Love love love it. And you have always been ForMyGood. I am daily thankful for your faith that you share with me and the example you are for our Savior! I love your guts!!!
(I know, I know, too many !!!!!!!!!!!! exclamation points)

Unknown said...

Carol,
Very good work. I loved all the pictures, and the text. I'm sooooo happy that you love being a mother. I do, too. Love ya. Laura

Anonymous said...

Well, what can be said? You're just adorable, brilliant, fantastic, terrific and whatever Charlotte (in her web) would have weaved to save your beautiful hide. I can't tell you how you bless my life. I hope I give back in a small portion what you have given. Love you. . . . . . . . . (those are dittos to infinity)
Love, Mom