Friday, December 11, 2009

Wedding Ring Woes

I lost my wedding ring. I use the word 'I' very loosely in this sentence. Every night I take off my ring and put it by my bathroom sink (it bothers me to sleep with it). Last August, when I got ready in the morning and went to put my ring on, it was gone. I think a little someone...namely Philip...may have put it in a VERY special hiding place. Like maybe the toilet or the garbage.
I have looked everywhere. I even bribed the kids with $50 if they could find it...all to no avail.

Finally, I decided that I was not going to endure this entire pregnancy with no wedding ring and so I started looking at replacement rings at a local jewelers. I found one that I liked and purchased it, only to discover that it didn't feel "right" to me. I returned it and continued on my hunt. I went to the jewelers who sold us my original band and started scouring through books to find my ring. The jeweler actually remembered the ring and was a big help. After looking for an hour or so, neither of us could find the original band, but I had found a few others that I thought might work. She marked the pages of the ones I liked and filled out a form to order them in so that I could look at them. When she was finished, she inadvertently flipped to another section of the book and stated "Carol, there's your ring." Hooray! She was right. We had found the original band and I was so excited.

She ordered it in for me along with the other ones that I liked. I had only one problem with my original band and that was that it was a little too thick for my short fingers. I am 5 ft. 11 in. tall, but I have really tiny hands...my sisters' Joanne and Brenda each have a good inch of extra finger length. Anyway, I debated back and forth between getting the original and getting a new one that was thinner. She could make my original band thinner, but she was going to charge me a hefty fee to alter it in any way.

Meanwhile, I continued looking at another jewelers in town and they were willing to thin down my original band for no additional charge. I was so excited!!! I could have the essence of my old ring back, only new and improved. I asked them to do it for me and then was a nervous wreck about them somehow getting the carving wrong. (I had purchased the ring by this point, so if they screwed it up I was out of luck.)

Needless to say, all of my fears were for not. I picked up my ring last Saturday and I absolutely LOVE it. Like I said, it reminds me so much of my original and yet it fits on my stubby little finger so much better. Did I mention?...Hooray!!!


I did try to take a picture of the ring on my short finger, but I couldn't get far enough away from it to allow the flash to do it's job correctly...it kept blowing it out. This may have something to do with my abnormally short arms. ;)

1 comment:

Crysty said...

Beautiful! And I've never noticed your fingers....and I'm certain you don't have short arms. SO, what did you decide? Find out or be surprised?????