Monday, February 15, 2010

Ordained

My son is twelve.

Yesterday, on Valentines Day, he received the Priesthood. This is not something that he took lightly...he had to think about it for a few months before he made his decision.

Michael is amazing, talented, and complex. His empathy is God given and so (I like to tell myself) is his stubbornness. No one can dig in his heels like Michael. He has his agency and he wants to decide everything for himself. There is no forcing Michael...whether it be something fun or not. He once stood at the entrance to Disneyland and refused to go further because he "hated Disneyland". Just a good ol' case of wanting to choose for himself without being forced. Being stubborn can be a very positive attribute as well and once Michael decides something is right or wrong, he is very difficult to persuade otherwise. Last night Michael took a plate of cookies and a card to his friend Nathaniel. Nathaniel's dog was hit and killed by a car and Michael wanted Nathaniel to know how sorry he was and that he cared. Michael's gift of empathy in action.

Now he has the Priesthood. I pray that he can use his gifts...his empathy, stubbornness, and all of his others...for righteousness. Matt ordained him with the help of Devin, Mike, the Bishopric, and Michael's new Deacon Advisors. Michael was blessed with the ability to recognize the Spirit. What a gift. I take it for granted far too often.



Michael,
You are God's gift to me and I am so grateful that I have the opportunity to be your mother. You challenge me every day and I am a better person because of you. Please make good choices. Please listen to the Holy Spirit and do what is right. I love you so much and so does Heavenly Father. Now you have His Priesthood, I pray that you will be able to bring honor to Him and to your family through your actions every day.
Love forever,
Mom

2 comments:

Brenda said...

Tell Michael we are so proud of him. We love him so much and can't belieive how much he has grown up this year. God is aware of all of Michael's strengths and weaknesses as He is all of ours and I hope Michael remembers that. Love you all mucho!

Charlotte said...

What a wonderful time with a wonderful boy. Michael, you are loved so very much. GC