Today is Father's Day and while I get to have the opportunity to express my love and appreciation to my husband and father-in-law, I am also acutely reminded that my dad is gone.
I miss him.
He died from Leukemia almost four years ago. I had a tumultuous relationship with my dad and while I always knew that he loved me, we often took the opportunity to butt heads. The older I get, the more I can see my part.
I wish that I could tell him how much I have grown and changed.
I wish that he could have met Philip.
I wish that I could get his advice on whether or not I really needed new shocks and struts on my car.
I wish that I could buy him a cheesy Father's Day card. (I got busy and forgot to give him one the last year he was alive and I will always regret it.)
I wish that he could have come to Snowbird with us and gone swimming in the pool.
I wish that I could tell him how grateful I am that he always insisted we do "cultured" things. (My kids complained about having to go the "boring" church history museum and I could hear my own complaining to my dad many many years ago.)
I wish I could tell him how much his testimony and determination to do what is right influenced me.
I wish that I could give him a big hug and tell him that I am doing my best to love and support Mom.
I know that I will see him again someday, and for this knowledge I am forever grateful. But today, I miss him.
I love you dad. Happy Father's Day.
Project Run & Play Repeat!
9 years ago
5 comments:
Carol,
Thanks for your words. I miss him, too. Lots.
Love,
Laura
Oh, that made me cry. Wish we could have more communication with those that pass on. I love your Dad, he seemed like he would be the best for advice for things like replacing shocks and struts.
I remember everytime your dad would come to visit all the showers would be running at full force. And anything and everything mechanical would be in perfect working order. But I especially remember the showers. Just the other day, I had a problem with one of my shower heads and I wished Uncle Kent was nearby to fix it. :)
I miss my dad too! Yesterday, I just felt sorry.....sorry for myself, sorry for my kids.
Your dad is a true hero in my eyes for he is responsible for YOU.
Love you.
Carol, What else can be said? He was our protector, travel agent, guide and inspiration, car care specialist, messy perfectionist, (sounds contradictory but he claimed HIS 'messes' were always organized), ever involved in fixing something for someone, forever snagged by a 'good deal' for himself or someone else, and quietly offering wit too often musunderstood. Yes, I miss him too. Love you for remembering so fondly. Mom
Post a Comment